Skip to main content

Mastership of Christ!!!

  Many of us believers confess Jesus as our Savior, and many of us confess Jesus as our Lord.  But, how many of us can confess that Jesus is our Master?  Let's take a look at what each confession means:  When we say that Jesus is our Savior, according to Webster's dictionary, what we are saying is Jesus is our Rescuer--somebody who rescues somebody or something from harm or danger.  When we say that Jesus is our Lord, according to Webster's dictionary, what we are saying is that Jesus is our Powerful Person--someone who has considerable power or influence over others.  But, what are we saying if we can say that Jesus is our Master?  According to Webster's dictionary, Master-- Boss, a person in a position of authority over a business or servants.  How many of us have made Jesus our Master?

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; anyone who loves a son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.  Whoever does not take up their cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me.  Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for My sake will find it." Matthew 10:37-39 NIV.

  During my own personal studies, God brought the word Master to my attention.  I started to examine myself and my life.  Had I made Jesus my Master?  I realized that in many areas of my life, Jesus was indeed my Savior--He rescued me from the filth and wickedness I was caught up in, He renewed my life and made me see the value in living in His comfort and joy.  In many areas He was also my Lord-- He had considerable influence in me wanting to live a life that glorified Him.  He gives to me the power I need to walk humbly with Him through the trials and temptations that life can bring.  But, to my sadness and truth, Jesus was not yet the Master of my life.  I have many areas of my life that I have not allowed Him to have complete authority over me.  And that is the message of our passage of Scripture.

   There are many areas of our lives that we give up to God.  We allow Him to save us from evil and wickedness, we allow Him to come into our lives and influence how we live, what we say, and what we do.  But, there are also many areas of our life that we continue to hold on to and try to control.  Finances, our careers, our marriages, other relationships, even our very selves!  We are quick to say, "Yes Jesus!  Come into my life and save me from my troubles."  "Yes Jesus!  Help me live and love the way You demonstrated for us."  But then in the same breath, "OH NO JESUS!  I WANT TO WORK HERE AND I WANT, I WANT, I WANT, AND I DON'T WANT YOU TO HAVE CONTROL OVER THIS!"

  Have you ever wondered why you have not succeeded in certain areas of your life?  Have you ever thought that you pray so much for things that you don't receive and you don't understand why?  The answer could be that you have yet to make Christ your Master.  I don't presume to have all the answers as this is an area that I am learning also, but I do know that in order to live the life that Jesus intends for us to live, He needs to be the One in control of our everything!  I love the saying, "Jesus is my co-pilot."  I think that it should really read, "Jesus is my Pilot, I am the co-pilot."

  Our lives are not ours to do with as we please.  Do you find this shocking?  Let me put it this way, the Bible states that we have been bought at a great price--the death of Christ!  In His death, Jesus paid our sin debt.  We no longer owe God Almighty anything for our rebellion and wickedness.  Christ paid it for us---He now owns us!  We now belong to Him and He desires to have mastery over us.  Some might take this to mean that we can do nothing of ourselves, but that is quite on the contrary, Jesus desires us to live a life that is fulfilling and pleasing not only to Him, but to us.  He Himself states that He came to give us life and life more abundantly.  And He also says that He wants to give us the desires of our heart.  But, how can He do that for us if we do not allow Him to have authority over us?

  Most of us work.  Do you allow your employer to have authority over you?  Why?  It is because he is your boss, i.e. your master.  How is it then that Christ is not in authority over us?  We must as believers consent to allow Jesus complete mastery over our lives.  Only then will we live a life that is pleasing and acceptable to Him.  Only then will He be able to give us the desires of our heart.
"Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46 NIV.

Comments

  1. WOW!!!! Just, WOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's vision as the Master is towards us all. He will teach, counsel and guide us to the way that we shall walk on.

    "I will instruct and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will counsel thee, my eyes are upon thee." Psalm 32:8

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking About Calling Down Fire!?!

James and John were refered to as "the Sons of Thunder" in the Bible. When they discovered a Samaritan village that would not receive Jesus, they were fully prepared to call down fire to consume the entire community. "And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?" Luke 9:54. Maybe they felt that through such a show of power, the gospel message might be enhanced. The two brothers were willing to sacrifice the lives of the village in order to further the cause of the gospel. However, Jesus rebuked them! Later, the apostles heard that Samaria had responded to the gospel. Guess who was commissioned to go and help them receive the Holy Spirit? None other but Peter and John! It was God's purpose that the people not be destroyed but saved! God chose not to rain down fire on the village, but to shower it with His Holy Spirit! I wonder what w

On Earth as it is in Heaven!

  As believers, I know that we question the situations and culture that we find ourselves in during these times.  We wonder what has happened to our world and why are things happening as they are.  I also hear fellow brothers and sisters in Christ complaining that something should be done, but they themselves do not want to get involved. Lastly, why aren't the miracles and power of God not being manifest during our lifetime?  The answer my friends is that we have forgotten to Whom we belong and that the battle is always fought on our knees!  To many, this could be a passive way of stating that this is all that we can do, but I would like to say that we need a change of thinking and praying in order to start seeing the results that we so desperately desire!  I want us to really take a deep look at the Lord's Prayer: "In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.   Give us this

The Fruit of the Spirit!!

As one examines what the Scriptures teach about the fruits of the Spirit, you could be intimidated. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23. Working all nine of these traits into our life seems impossible, and it is. However, the moment we became Christians, the Holy Spirit began a divine work to produce Christ's character in us. Let me say this, regardless of who you are, the Spirit works from the same model, Jesus Christ. The Spirit looks to Christ in order to find the "blueprint" for your character. The Spirit will immedately begin helping you experience and practice this same love that Jesus had when He laid down His life for His friends. The same joy He experienced will be filled in you. The identical peace that guarded the heart of Jesus, even as He was being beaten and mocked, will be the peace that the Spirit